A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection in any part of the urinary system. The urinary system includes the kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra. Most infections involve the lower urinary tract — the bladder and the urethra. Women are at greater risk of developing a UTI than are men. If an infection is limited to the bladder, it can be painful and annoying. But serious health problems can result if a UTI spreads to the kidneys.
Contents of box:
- 1 Test Strip
- 1 Plastic Cup
- 1 Color Chart
- 1 Package Insert
Symptoms for UTI
- Burning sensation during urination
- Frequent urination/urge to urinate
- Cloudy urine
- Strong odor in urine
- Pelvic pain, in women — especially in the center of the pelvis and around the area of the pubic bone
- Urine that appears red, bright pink or cola-colored — signs of blood in the urine
Causes of UTIs
UTIs are usually caused by bacteria from poo entering the urinary tract. The bacteria enter through the tube that carries pee out of the body (urethra). Women have a shorter urethra than men. This means bacteria are more likely to reach the bladder or kidneys and cause an infection.
Causes of UTIs include:
- Conditions that block the urinary tract – such as kidney stones
- Conditions that make it difficult to fully empty the bladder. These could be an enlarged prostate gland in men and constipation in children
- Urinary catheters. This is a tube in your bladder used to drain urine.
- Having a weakened immune system. For example, from type 2 diabetes, chemotherapy or HIV
DirectionsYou wet a test strip by holding it in your urine stream for a few seconds. Or, you can collect urine in a clean cup and dip the strip into the sample. Wait 1 to 2 minutes for the color of the test strip to change
Storage InformationDo not store above 25c
Do not store above 25c, away from direct sources of heat and humidity. Keep in original container